Monday, December 29, 2008

Ton of bricks

Unfortunately, when reacting to stuff the kids do, sometimes I come down on them like a ton of bricks.

My wife has commented that I do go overboard sometimes. I guess I may get it from my father. But what am I to do? I guess I need to put things into perspective. They are good kids and behave a vast majority of the time. So are minor troubles that they cause worth coming down on them so hard? Especially since they are like sponges and likely to take my actions as an example to incorporate into their toolbox of behavior. Do I want them over-reacting like I do? No of course not.

What kind of lesson can I learn from the Father? Does God come down on me with punishment when I sin?  Of course not, through my sin, I am insulating myself from his grace. Sin is a conscious decision to not do the will of God.

But the difference between the two is that I know that I am sinning and am responsible for my actions and my children still have not developed that inner compass as to what is right, wrong, and appropriate.  So, while their actions could insulate them from our love (grace) it shouldn't because they haven't developed that compass.  Perhaps the adage "Yield, and be firm" applies.

What makes things worse is that they are learning this behavior from me.  I'm beginning to see it in how sometimes my older daughter will go non-linear on her little sister for the simplest things.  Much like I do.

All is not lost though.  I see how well she behaves in other situations and I can not be more proud.  She is becoming such a big girl!

I've started taking steps to reform my behavior and am working with my oldest daughter to control her behavior.  Hopefully working with them, we can roll back the clock on the behavior they have learned from me.

Pray for me.

Tim


If you like this blog please consider donating to Eastside Baby Corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment